What prerequisites do I need for veterinary school?
Comparing required coursework with what you have already completed can save you time and money. Veterinary school prerequisites can differ dramatically between schools. Look beyond science courses too; veterinary school requirements may include public speaking, languages, laboratory hours, and more. Some veterinary schools strongly prefer a bachelors degree, others do not.
As a point of reference, below are the prerequisites for the 2017 school year:
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING A VETERINARY SCHOOL?
Many other factors should go into choosing your veterinary school.
- Do you want to be close to home, live somewhere new or is location not a deciding factor for you?
- Is the focus of the school — research programs, emphasis on production medicine, flexible curriculum, etc. – important to you?
- Is instruction primarily lecture or problem based learning?
- Are the class sizes relatively large or small? Learn more.
- Are clinical rotations onsite or will you be sent to local veterinary clinics for clinical training?